Thursday, March 29, 2012

Twelve and Twenty-Three

Twelve.

That is the number of people who should be deciding the guilt or acquittal of Mr Zimmerman.

I believe he should be charged with _a_ crime. He pursued Trayvon Martin after legal authority was contacted and told him not to. At that point I believe he was no longer acting entirely in self defense. Had he observed the 911 operators instructions the tragedy would have been averted. Had he observed the instructions from the legal authority he contacted, he would not have needed (in any circumstance) to defend himself.

It is up to a Grand Jury .. Twenty-Three Individuals, to decide what charges, if any, Zimmerman will face. Theirs is a heavy burden.

I personally believe that Mr Zimmerman left behind the protection of a "Stand your ground" law when he engaged in pursuit. The Stand your ground or "Castle Principal" protects those who do not retreat from protecting their life, family, and personal property. I have never until now heard any one claim it included pursuit of some one who was not attacking you. That is simply my belief, I do not have the right of judgement.

I believe he should be tried for, at minimum, negligent homicide (or the Florida equivalent) I do not believe he should be tried for capitol murder. This was not something he planed. I do not personally see this as a racial hate crime. Hell I am a 40 something white boy who lived on the farm and I wore and wear hoodies.

It is not the rule of the mob or the law of lynching that should decide these things but the law as laid out by our Founding Fathers.


I hope he is charged and arrested for two reasons. One, that he is less likely to be lynched; two because that is the due process of law as guaranteed by the blood of our for-fathers.

My only problem is .. where are they going to find an Impartial Jury??


No comments:

Post a Comment